Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Start of Classes

On Tuesday, I had three of my four classes. I like all of them so far, but I am particularly excited about my Travel Writing Class. We are reading books about people who travel (not necessarily travel literature by Bryson, but works about traveling by Kerouac, Guevera, Guthrie, etc.). We actually get to do a bit of creative writing on our own. The other two classes that I am in, Childhood, Socialization, and Culture and Political Sociology, sound like they will be interesting and manageable as well.

I was lucky to be able to catch the inauguration. My roommate and I found a live feed on the internet, and we got in from class and online just in time to see Biden sworn in and then on into Obama's inauguration and awesome speech. I was sad to be out of the country at the time, but it was an exciting time to be an American in the U.K. right now. Obama was on all of the covers of the newpapers and on all of the new programs.

On Tuesday night, we went out in SOHO to find Spice of Life. Spice of Life is a pub upstairs and then a live music lounge downstairs. They have different theme nights; last night was blues night. It was really cool, and I think that we will head back for the other nights. (Especially Open Mic night)

Today, my History of London class went to the British Museum to get an idea of what Britain was like immediately before and after the Romans came here. The British Museum itself is a really beautiful building, and inside it is crammed full of artifacts from so many different parts of the world and so many different time periods. After we looked at lots of bronze swords and helmets and coins from early in England's history, we were allowed to wander around on our own. Since it is MASSIVE, a couple of girls and I decided to travel to the Egyptian room and take a look at the mummies.
I also got a chance to see the Rosetta Stone! I was able to snap a picture...luckily, at the British Museum you are allowed to take as many pictures as you like.
I am going to have to go back...I feel like I only saw about 1/25th of what the museum had to offer. Thank God for free admission!

Tomorrow night is the Beginning of Term Party at a posh downtown Members' Only Club. Richmond has rented it out for the night. Since most people don't have classes on Fridays, a lot of events are planned for Thursday nights. It is cocktail attire, so it gives us a fun chance to dress up and look nice.

No comments: