Sunday, February 22, 2009

Many apologies....

Sorry I've been so slack on the blog. It's been a busy couple of weeks since Paris. This blog is probably going to be a little less "and on this day I went here and saw this and here is a picture." We've been trying to pace ourselves on sightseeing and actually focus a little more on schoolwork.

My friend Katherine and I were walking around Notting Hill on Saturday, and we both came to the realization that we've started to feel like we live in London, rather than merely being tourists or visitors. It was a really exciting and affirming realization.
The best way to see the city is just to walk. The weather has gotten a lot nicer, and if where we are going is only one or two Tube stops away, we will just set out in that direction on foot instead of having to pay a subway fare. People have even stopped to ask us directions. This is kind of daunting, but it is also very rewarding when you can respond, "Actually, yes! In fact, I do know the way to the Gloucester Road Tube station." I had always hoped that I would be able to find a regular pub, must-go-to student night, and interesting new people that I interact with like I've known them my whole life during this semester...but I really didn't really think that those expectations would be this quickly fufilled and in such great supply. I've already gotten so much out of this experience, and I'm not even halfway done yet. (Thank God!!!)

But, I do miss some things about the United States. I've actually started watching the NBC show Friday Night Lights just for the fact that it does give me a (shockingly) accurate potrayal of the life back home. Great show; you should be watching if you aren't!
I miss Zaxby's and Barberritos A LOT. Mexican food is not very popular over here, and that is one of my favorite types of food. I miss having my Blackberry on hand at all times so that I can Google something. I miss flip flops, shorts, and T-shirts. I miss birthday celebrations that I could be having with my friends from home. (here's looking at you, Ace, MH, and Caro) I desperately miss Waffle House.

There are also some great things that I've discovered that make me so happy over here: falafel sandwiches, Strongbow, dancing into the early hours of the morning, Pret a Manger, Dorothy Perkins, H&M, Topshop, the pub atmosphere, a new appreciation of Lady Gaga, and then just about everything that London has to offer.

Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life for there is in London al that life can afford."
--Samuel Johnson

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aww Jules...this is so exciting!! I loved reading that!